You’re in the market for a new grill, and you’re getting ready to compare your options online.
Price, features, and style are all important considerations to make. Another major factor that people think about is health.
Grilling can be a healthy way to cook when you use the right ingredients and techniques.
Even the type of grill that you choose can affect how healthy your meals are.
Electric is healthiest overall, but before you buy your next grill, take a look at our breakdown of which is the healthiest type of grill.
Healthiest Type of Grill – Gas,Charcoal & Electric
|Weber Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill, 48 x 26 x 57 inches, Black||$449.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black||$219.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Cuisinart GR-150P1 Deluxe Electric Griddler, Stainless Steel||$120.89||Buy on Amazon|
Grilling is a Healthier Way to Cook
Before we take a look at the three most popular grill types, let’s find out why grilling is a healthier way to cook.
- When you cook meat on a grill, the food retains more nutrients than if you were to cook it in an oven or on a stovetop. Cooking over direct heat helps to preserve B Vitamins like Riboflavin and Thiamine. Both are essential for supporting metabolism and energy levels.
- Cooking on a grill involves less oil or additives like butter. When cooking meat, much of the fat is rendered, vaporized, and reincorporated as a flavorful crust. Your food will still taste amazing, but you’ll cut out calories and reduce cholesterol intake.
- Grilling usually involves fresh ingredients and fewer processed foods. Simply deciding to grill can lead to making better food choices. Vegetables are particularly healthy when grilled. They retain more of their nutrients and you won’t need to add any oil.
- Overall, there’s less fat involved when cooking on a grill. If you love to eat steak, pork, and poultry, you’ll enjoy better-tasting meals with less animal fat on every plate.
- Grilling is a more physical way to cook. You’re standing, often entertaining, and usually spending your time outside. This has mental and physical health benefits that can help you to feel happier and more energized.
It’s simple. Grilling is one of the best ways to cook and it’s surprisingly healthy.
Now that you know it’s a great choice for meals, you’ll need to decide which type of grill is best for you.
Gas grilling is a healthy way to cook because the fuel burns cleanly without any volatile organic compounds contaminating your food.
There’s no smoke or soot, so your food will be healthier when compared to some charcoal cooking methods.
Use cooking grids when cooking over gas.
This will allow fats to render and drip away from the food, reducing calories and improving flavor as juices are vaporized on the burner plates.
A great option for an ideal gas grill is the Weber Spirit II E-210.
This Weber grill has two durable burners, excellent coated steel and stainless steel construction, and a large hood for cooking with the top down.
The cart design is perfect for portability around a patio or backyard.
Coming in a close second in terms of popularity, charcoal cooking can be an incredibly healthy way to cook.
Be sure to let the charcoal fully ignite before you put any ingredients on the grill.
When charcoal starts, it can produce a lot of smoke that can contaminate your meals.
Charcoal is equally as healthy as gas, but coals can get very hot.
It’s important to avoid burning your food to reduce the risk of consuming cancer-causing compounds.
One of the best charcoal grills on today’s market is the Weber Original Kettle Premium.
The Weber Kettle design is one of the most efficient charcoal grill options available.
This grill can be easily relocated outside the home, has a large cooking surface, and is made easier to clean and maintain thanks to an innovative charcoal and ash system.
Modern electric grills are incredibly healthy because they cook food consistently without any direct exposure to flame.
This can reduce burning and crust on the outside of meats and vegetables.
Electric grilling is marginally healthier than both charcoal and gas, but, if you eat a balanced diet, the difference will be negligible.
A great electric grill is the Cuisinart stainless steel grill.
This small electric grill has six cooking options in one and is ideal for apartments or even for RV owners who want something to use on the road.
It can be used safely indoors and it offers a high-temperature cooking surface to produce results similar to gas and charcoal.
The Bottom Line – Which is the Healthiest Type of Grill?
Gas, charcoal, and electric grills are all similar when it comes to health.
Gas is the cleaner fuel source when compared to charcoal, but with the right cooking technique, the difference is marginal.
Electric is healthiest overall, but you will miss out on some of the classic charred edges that you get with traditional grills.
Overall, if you’re choosing fresh, low-fat, and natural ingredients, you’ll enjoy healthy meals no matter what type of grill you buy.