Kamado grilling is renowned for its ability to infuse a rich smoky flavor into food, thanks to its natural heat convection that ensures thorough cooking.
Kamado grills operate similarly to traditional coal ovens, making them a unique and flavorful option for outdoor grilling.
However, for beginners, lighting a Kamado grill can require some practice to get used to.
If you have recently purchased a Kamado grill or are considering getting one, you may be wondering about the best way to light it.
To help you get started with the incredible flavor of an authentic Kamado outdoor grill, we have broken down the lighting process for you.
With its unique design and cooking style, lighting a Kamado grill may differ from other grilling methods you may be familiar with.
However, with some guidance and practice, you can learn how to properly light a Kamado grill and unlock its full grilling potential, infusing your food with delicious smoky flavors.
Choose the Right Fuel
For optimal results, it is recommended to use natural lump hardwood charcoal when lighting your Kamado grill.
Hardwood charcoal burns more efficiently, reaches higher temperatures, and is easier to ignite compared to other types of charcoal.
It is also important to ensure that the charcoal you purchase is free of additives or chemicals for a clean and authentic grilling experience.
A great reference point to start with is the Eco Charcoal Super Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal, which is known for its high-quality and natural composition.
Using high-quality charcoal can greatly impact the flavor and performance of your Kamado grill, allowing you to achieve the best possible results when grilling.
By using natural lump hardwood charcoal that is free of additives, you can ensure a clean, efficient, and flavorful grilling experience with your Kamado grill.
Experimenting with different brands and types of charcoal can also help you find the perfect fit for your specific grilling needs and preferences.
Steps To Lighting a Kamado Grill
A chimney starter works great with a Kamado grill, but the unique design means you don’t need to use one.
With our steps, you can manually start the charcoal using only your lump charcoal and a starter brick.
- Fill your Kamado grill charcoal tray with as much charcoal as you need for the cooking session. Don’t overfill, or it will become harder to light and will produce excess heat.
- When filled, make space in the center of the tray and place a charcoal starter brick inside. These Midwest Hearth 100% Natural Charcoal Starters are perfect for outdoor grills.
- Light the charcoal starter using a long match or a standard gas lighter.
- Open all of the vents to their maximum position, and keep the lid up. This will allow airflow while creating the perfect conditions to start the charcoal.
- Wait around ten to fifteen minutes and check on the coals, they should now be glowing and producing smoke. Mix the coals using grill tongs so that they are evenly distributed. If you need more time to get all of the coals lit, wait another five minutes before checking again.
- Your coals should now be lit and ready to get up to temperature. Close the lid on your grill, and monitor the temperature gauge as you preheat. When you hit the mark, gradually close the vents until the heat is consistent. You’re now ready to start cooking with your Kamado grill.
- Remember to check the manufacturer instructions in your user manual before using your grill for the first time. Some grills have special lighting procedures or convenience features added to make the job easier. A Kamado grill is perfectly suited to roasting, baking, and top-down grilling.
- You can enjoy flavorful foods and impressive temperature control. You can add wood chips woodwood chips right on top of the coals to infuse a rich smoky flavor.
- Kamado cooking isn’t for everyone, but if you want to try something unique, you’ll love this style of outdoor grill.
Bottom Line – What’s the Best Way to Light a Kamado Grill?
lighting a Kamado grill involves using natural lump hardwood charcoal, which burns efficiently and reaches high temperatures for optimal grilling results.
It is important to choose charcoal that is free of additives or chemicals for a clean and authentic grilling experience.
The Eco Charcoal Super Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal is a recommended option to consider. By using high-quality charcoal and following proper lighting techniques, you can enjoy the rich smoky flavors and natural heat convection that a Kamado grill offers.
Experimenting with different charcoal brands and types can also help you find the perfect fit for your specific grilling needs
Lighting a Kamado grill can be achieved using natural lump hardwood charcoal for the best results.