Propane is the most popular fuel for cooking outdoors.
A propane grill can offer convenience and reliability throughout any season.
Gas is affordable and easy to store.
It’s also safer than using solid fuels like pellets or charcoal.
But you still need to take precautions when using a propane grill, especially when it comes to ventilation.
Do propane grills produce carbon monoxide, and what are the risks?
Let’s take a look and see.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Highly poisonous, carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless.
It’s produced by gas grills as well as charcoal and pellet grills.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal, so it’s important to only use your gas grill in a well-ventilated area, either on a patio, deck, or anywhere else around your yard.
The signs of poisoning appear in stages from mild to severe.
- Mild Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue.
- Moderate Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause stronger headaches, elevated heart rate, confusion, and drowsiness.
- Severe Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause convulsions, unconsciousness, and cardio or respiratory failure.
In the most severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.
You must follow all manufacturer safety guidelines for your gas grill.
If you use your grill in a semi-enclosed area like a covered patio or porch, you can use a carbon monoxide detector for your peace of mind.
An Alarm for Carbon Monoxide Levels
The Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarm can be used with an AC outlet.
It includes a battery backup, so you’ll receive a warning even if the power goes out.
It features a loud 85-decibel alarm for an audible warning whenever carbon monoxide gas reaches dangerous levels.
If you use your grill in the open you won’t need to use an alarm, but if your grill is surrounded by one or more walls, it’s worth investing in one of these devices.
If you use gas for your indoor stove or a fireplace, you can also place one of these alarms inside your home.
Because carbon monoxide causes drowsiness and fatigue, it can be hard to identify when poisoning occurs.
A loud alarm device will ensure that you are warned when this dangerous gas reaches unsafe levels.
Use an Electric Grill Indoors
If you want to grill safely indoors you can eliminate gas.
An electric grill can offer excellent performance without any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Electric grills are ideal for apartments and condos where there isn’t a lot of outdoor space for grilling.
And, electric grills are relatively inexpensive, so you could even save some money by choosing one as your primary grill.
The George Foreman 12+ Serving Electric Grill is designed for indoor and outdoor use.
It can be placed on a tabletop or counter, or the included pedestal stand for a more traditional grilling experience.
Safety First When Grilling
Carbon monoxide is a real risk if you use a gas grill in the wrong environment.
Always cook in a well-ventilated space for the safety of you, your family, and your guests.
If you need to cook indoors or don’t have good airflow, an electric grill will always be the best option.