Any professional chef will tell you that the most important tool in the kitchen is a knife.
Before chefs begin their work they mostly begin by sharpening their knives.
A good quality knife not only saves time but also saves the user’s effort.
Now that you know how invaluable a knife is to a kitchen, it is important to choose the best quality.
A good quality knife needs minimal maintenance. It gives a good return on the money spent on it.
No matter what you cook, you will most probably need a knife.
From shredding, cutting, and chopping, there are many things that a knife does.
Good material, sharp blades, strong handles, and aesthetic appeal are some of the important features you should look for in a knife.
Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are a set of high-quality, handcrafted knives that are designed specifically for cutting and serving steak.
These knives are named after the small village of Laguiole in the Aubrac region of France, where they originated in the early 19th century.
The Laguiole knife has become an iconic symbol of French craftsmanship, with its distinctive shape and intricate details.
Jean Dubost, a French cutlery company founded in 1920, has become one of the most well-known producers of Laguiole knives in the world, and their steak knives are considered to be among the best available.
In this article, we will explore the history and tradition of Laguiole knives, the design and features of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives, the materials used in their construction, and how to care for and maintain them.
We will also discuss the advantages of using these knives, and provide tips for choosing the right set for your needs.
History and Tradition of Laguiole Knives
The history of Laguiole knives can be traced back to the early 19th century, when they were first created in the village of Laguiole in the Aubrac region of France.
These knives were originally used by local farmers and shepherds as a tool for everyday tasks such as cutting meat, cheese, and bread.
The Laguiole knife quickly gained a reputation for its durability and craftsmanship, and over time, it became a symbol of French culture and heritage.
The knife’s iconic shape and intricate details, including the signature bee emblem, have become synonymous with French craftsmanship.
Traditionally, Laguiole knives were handcrafted by local blacksmiths, who would forge the blade and shape the handle using materials such as bone, horn, or wood.
The blade would then be sharpened and polished by hand, and the handle would be embellished with decorative features such as engravings or inlays.
Today, Laguiole knives are still handcrafted using traditional methods, with many artisans specializing in this unique style of knife making.
While the knives are still used for practical purposes, they have also become a popular collector’s item and a symbol of French culture and tradition.
Materials Used in Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives
Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are made using high-quality materials that are chosen for their durability, strength, and aesthetic appeal. Here are some of the materials commonly used in the construction of these knives:
- Stainless steel – the blades of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are made from high-quality stainless steel, which is known for its strength, corrosion resistance, and ease of maintenance.
- Handles – the handles of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are often made from natural materials such as wood, bone, or horn, which are known for their durability, comfort, and aesthetic appeal. Some handles are also made from synthetic materials such as acrylic, which can be designed in a range of colors and patterns.
- Bolsters – the bolsters of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are typically made from stainless steel, brass, or nickel, and are designed to provide balance and stability to the knife.
- Decorative elements – many Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives feature decorative elements such as engravings, inlays, or embossed designs, which are often made from materials such as brass or silver.
Overall, the materials used in Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are carefully chosen for their quality, durability, and aesthetic appeal, ensuring that these knives are both functional and beautiful.
Care and Maintenance of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives
Proper care and maintenance of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives can help ensure that they remain in excellent condition and continue to perform well for years to come.
Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining your Laguiole Steak Knives.
- Hand wash only – avoid putting your Laguiole Steak Knives in the dishwasher, as the high heat and harsh detergents can damage the blades and handles. Instead, wash them by hand using warm water and mild dish soap.
- Dry immediately – after washing, dry your Laguiole Steak Knives thoroughly with a clean towel to prevent water spots and rust.
- Store properly – store your Laguiole Steak Knives in a knife block, a sheath, or a drawer with a protective lining to prevent damage to the blades and handles.
- Sharpen regularly – use a sharpening stone or honing rod to keep your Laguiole Steak Knives sharp and performing at their best.
- Oil the blades – occasionally oil the blades of your Laguiole Steak Knives with food-safe oil to prevent rust and corrosion.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces – avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as glass or ceramic, as this can damage the blades and dull the edges.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives remain in excellent condition and continue to perform at their best.
How to Choose the Right Set of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives
Choosing the right set of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives can depend on several factors, including your personal preferences and needs.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right set for you.
- Number of knives – consider how many knives you will need in your set. Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are often sold in sets of four, six, or eight, but you can also find sets of two or twelve.
- Handle material – consider the handle material that you prefer. Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are available with handles made from a variety of materials, including wood, horn, and synthetic materials such as acrylic.
- Blade style – consider the style of blade that you prefer. Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are available with straight or serrated blades. Serrated blades are ideal for cutting through tough meats, while straight blades are better for slicing and carving.
- Blade length – consider the length of the blade that you prefer. Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are typically between 4.5 and 9 inches in length.
- Price – consider your budget. Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives can range in price from around $50 to over $200, depending on the materials used and the number of knives in the set.
- Warranty – consider the warranty offered by the manufacturer. Jean Dubost offers a limited lifetime warranty on their Laguiole Steak Knives, which can provide peace of mind and protection for your investment.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right set of Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives that meets your needs and fits your budget.
Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives – Our Picks
- Jean Dubost Laguiole 6 Steak Knives Set
These Jean Dubost Laguiole steak knives also feature great French craftsmanship which involves stamping, grounding, and polishing of the knife.
French craftsmanship ensures that the end product is a beautifully crafted durable knife that is authentic.
Cutting meat feels like slicing through butter with these sharp knives.
A certificate of origin accompanies these knives to ensure that the user gets 100% authentic knives.
The outstanding knives are all dishwasher safe.
This means that cleaning them after use is safe and easy. They come in a covered box that makes storage easy.
- Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives, 6 Piece
The functional and beautiful design makes a vivid impression in any kitchen.
They are sharp and comfortable enough to slice through cuts of meat, offering a clean cut with no need for much effort.
The six knives are made using stainless steel. In contrast to ceramic knives which are brittle, stainless steel will not chip easily.
The edge is kept sharper for long in stainless steel-made knives. Each knife weighs around 13.6 ounces which is light enough for easy use.
All the knives are dishwasher safe which makes cleaning simple.
These knives are French crafted thus ensuring their quality and durability.
Being from French craftsmen, the beautiful Laguiole knives have over 200 years of tested quality.
- Jean Dubost Steak Knives (JD97-15214) 6 Steak Knives Collection
Your guest will most probably ask you to recommend to them where you bought these beautiful knives. They come with ABS handles which are comfortable enough for most users.
Stainless steel blade that will stay sharp for long in between honing in another amazing feature of these knives set.
The stainless steel material used to make the knives also ensures that it will do tough kitchen jobs such as slicing meat from the bone without chipping.
Certificate of authenticity comes with the knife set to make sure that the customers are assured of the great quality of Jean Dubost Laguiole steak knives.
The whole set is stored in a wooden attractive storage box which can be used to store the knives or as a gift box.
- Jean Dubost Steak Knives (976000) Set of 6
Featuring durable, beautiful steel handles, these Jean Dubost steak knives are what every person who loves cooking needs.
The handles are well fastened into the knife which ensures that the knives serve you for long without the handles coming off.
These handles feel balanced, comfortable, and sturdy in most users’ hands.
The set of six French knives comes with a certificate and a Laguiole bee symbol which shows that they are authentic and of great quality.
You are encouraged to hand wash these knives although they are all dishwasher safe to prolong their lifespan.
A beechwood gift box houses the six 9 inch knives for convenient and compact storage.
Crafted from quality stainless steel, the knives do not have any crevices that trap food particles.
Cutting steak is simpler using these sharp knives which effortlessly cut through chicken bones.
These knives are among the sharpest knives you can get for your kitchen.
They also remain sharp for a long period of time without the need for constant sharpening.
- Trudeau Laguiole Steak Knives
In this village, craftsmanship is passed from one generation to the other.
The knives made from here are handcrafted through a series of various processes.
These beautifully crafted knives come in a beautiful gift box that will automatically blow you and your guests away with its design.
Featuring a serrated and forged stainless razor-sharp blade, they cut through the toughest meat easily.
Your meat will not lose its flavorful juices as is the case when using a dull knife.
The well-crafted, sturdy, hand-finished handles are known for their exceptional beauty and moisture resistance property.
Each knife bears the stamped authentic Laguiole bee symbol which is a mark of quality.
The total knife length is 9 inches and the stainless blade portion measures 4.25 inches long.
Most chefs and those who love home cooking will find this knife worth the money.
Hand-washing is encouraged with these knives in order to keep the wooden handles in excellent condition.
- Laguiole France, Jean Neron Set of 6 Knives with Pale Horn Handles in Presentation Box
The knives, which are made to impress come with a certificate that is meant to show that they are purely authentic.
Pale Horn handles make the knives not only attractive but also easy to use.
These handles offer a firm gripping area when slicing off the steak.
Each knife is 9 inches long and it features the ever-sharp 2.5mm gauge blade which is made of stainless steel.
The knives, which are made in France by talented craftsmen, are made using high-quality stainless steel.
The material is resistant to corrosion and easy to clean.
Get these knives for your kitchen or as a gift to a loved one.
- Jean Dubost 6 Steak Knives In an In a Wooden Block, Stainless Steel
The craftsmen who make the knives are well experienced in knife making, the end product is high-quality beautiful knives that serve the users for a long period of time.
These stainless steel knives have a bee mark of quality that was associated with Napoleon Bonaparte’s imperial seal.
The high-quality stainless steel is stamped, grounded, and then polished in 25 manual stages of production.
The end product is a sharp blade that remains sharp for a long time.
This set of knives has handles that are soft and subtle for maximum comfort during use.
Stainless steel handles also make the whole knife easy to clean as food particles do not remain clogged in any crevices.
The material is resistant to rust.
Storing the whole set of knives is made simple as they come in a wooden block.
This ensures that the knives remain in place avoiding the danger of knife cuts that happen with misplaced knives.
To keep these knives in top performance, wash them in warm soapy water and dry them before storage.
- Laguoile Jean Dubost Stainless Steel Knife Set
This set of knives with silver handles is meant to complement your dinner table setting or kitchen.
The knives are crafted with high French expertise for assured quality.
The stainless steel blade of approximately 4.5 inches cuts through the toughest steak with minimal effort.
The material is rust-free and easy to clean after use. A whole knife from this set measures approximately 9 inches which is a good length for most users including professional chefs.
A certificate of authenticity accompanies the knives during purchase to assure users of their quality.
These made in France knives are dishwasher safe although hand washing is encouraged to prolong their lifespan.
All 6 knives come in a wooden tray.
If you are thinking of how you can gift a friend, the knife set in an attractive box is a sure way to impress them.
- Laguiole Jean Dubost 12 Piece Steak Knives
The area is full of talented craftsmen who make these quality, durable knives.
In this 12-piece set, you will get knives with beautiful black handles that complement the most kitchen and table décor.
These serrated steak knives cut through the tough meat from bones effortlessly with the aid of sharp blades.
They are made of stainless steel which keeps them looking clean at all times.
Handles that are riveted and contoured in a fresh color make them easy to hold and use. They rarely slip out of hand during use.
Stored in an open wood box that is stained with a watermark, this knife set can make a good present to a friend.
The box also makes storage convenient.
- Laguiole Jean Dubost Laguiole Set of 6 Wood Handles Knives
The wooden material used to make the handles not only makes the knives beautiful, but it also makes them firm for gripping during use.
They come with a 2.5mm gauge stainless steel blade.
This work of art set of six knives comes in a storage box that makes home or kitchen organization even easier.
The steak will taste even better with these sharp knives that cut through the steak with so much ease.
You feel as if you are cutting through butter.
These high-quality knives also feature a certificate of authenticity that customers can use to make sure that they are not buying knockoff knives.
It is always good to hand wash the knives to preserve the polish on the wooden handles.
Final Thoughts – Why Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are Worth the Investment
In conclusion, Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are a worthy investment for anyone who values quality, durability, and aesthetic appeal in their kitchen tools.
These knives are made using high-quality materials and traditional craftsmanship techniques, ensuring that they are not only functional but also beautiful.
Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are available in a range of styles, materials, and price points, making them accessible to a wide range of customers.
Whether you are a professional chef or a home cook, a set of these knives can elevate your dining experience and make meal preparation more enjoyable.
In addition, Jean Dubost offers a limited lifetime warranty on their Laguiole Steak Knives, providing peace of mind and protection for your investment.
With proper care and maintenance, your Laguiole Steak Knives can last for years and continue to perform at their best.
Overall, Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives are an excellent investment for anyone who values quality, durability, and aesthetic appeal in their kitchen tools.
They are a timeless addition to any kitchen and can make mealtime a more enjoyable and memorable experience.