Kamado grilling is quickly becoming a favorite with outdoor cooks.
You can grill, bake, roast, smoke, and barbecue with ease with a kamado.
Like the traditional ovens they are inspired by, kamado grills use charcoal as cooking fuel.
Why is Natural Lump Charcoal Recommended for Kamado Grilling?
What makes this different from briquettes?
Learn about the benefits of lump charcoal and why you should be using this fuel in your kamado, or any other charcoal cooker that you have at home.
What is Lump Charcoal?
Lump charcoal, also known as natural charcoal, is a type of charcoal that is made from whole pieces of wood that have been burned down to coal without the addition of any additives or binders.
It is considered a more natural and authentic form of charcoal compared to briquettes, which are made from compressed charcoal powder mixed with other ingredients.
Lump charcoal is typically made from hardwoods such as oak, hickory, maple, or fruitwood, and it is known for its irregular shapes and sizes.
The wood is burned in a controlled environment with limited oxygen, which removes moisture and volatile compounds, leaving behind carbon-rich charcoal.
One of the key advantages of lump charcoal is that it tends to ignite quickly and produce high heat, making it ideal for searing steaks, burgers, and other meats.
It also burns with minimal ash production and imparts a distinct, natural flavor to the food being cooked, adding a unique smokiness that many grilling enthusiasts enjoy.
Lump charcoal is often favored by professional pitmasters and barbecue enthusiasts who value the authentic flavor and performance it provides.
The irregular shapes and sizes of lump charcoal can also make it more challenging to control the heat and maintain an even cooking temperature.
Additionally, due to the lack of binders or additives, lump charcoal may produce more sparks and flare-ups, requiring careful attention during grilling.
Benefits You’ll Enjoy When Using Lump Charcoal
Using lump charcoal for grilling or smoking can come with several benefits, including.
- Authentic flavor. Lump charcoal is made from natural wood, and it imparts a unique smoky flavor to the food being cooked. This can enhance the taste of your grilled or smoked meats, giving them a distinct and authentic flavor that many outdoor cooking enthusiasts appreciate.
- Quick ignition and high heat. Lump charcoal tends to ignite faster and reach higher temperatures compared to briquettes, making it ideal for searing steaks, burgers, and other meats. The high heat can help achieve a desirable sear and crust on the outside of the food while keeping the inside juicy and flavorful.
- Minimal additives. Lump charcoal is typically made from pure wood without any additives or binders. This means you won’t be cooking with any added chemicals, fillers, or additives, which can be appealing to those who prefer a more natural and organic grilling experience.
- Less ash production. Lump charcoal generally produces less ash compared to briquettes, which means less clean-up and maintenance during and after grilling. The reduced ash production can also help maintain a cleaner and less smoky cooking environment.
- Versatility. Lump charcoal can be used for various grilling and smoking techniques, including direct grilling, indirect grilling, and smoking. Its high heat and natural flavor make it suitable for a wide range of foods, from steaks and burgers to poultry, fish, and vegetables.
- Eco-friendly option. Since lump charcoal is made from natural wood without additives, it is often considered a more environmentally-friendly option compared to briquettes, which may contain binders, fillers, and other additives. Choosing lump charcoal can be a sustainable choice for outdoor cooking enthusiasts who are conscious of their environmental impact.
- Unique grilling experience. Lump charcoal adds an element of authenticity and tradition to outdoor cooking, giving you a unique grilling experience. The irregular shapes and sizes of lump charcoal, along with its natural flavor and high heat, can provide a different grilling adventure compared to using briquettes or other types of fuel.
Overall, using lump charcoal can offer several benefits, including authentic flavor, quick ignition, minimal additives, less ash production, versatility, eco-friendliness, and a unique grilling experience.
It’s worth trying out if you’re looking to elevate your outdoor cooking game and enjoy the distinct flavors and experiences that lump charcoal can offer.
The Best Charcoal for Your Kamado Grill
If you own a Kamado grill, which is a type of ceramic charcoal grill known for its excellent heat retention and versatility, choosing the right type of charcoal can significantly impact your grilling results.
One of the best options for Kamado grills is natural lump charcoal.
Natural lump charcoal is made from real hardwood without any additives or binders.
It provides authentic flavor, quick ignition, high heat, and minimal ash production, which are all desirable characteristics for a Kamado grill.
The irregular shapes and sizes of lump charcoal can also work well with the Kamado grill’s design, allowing for better airflow and heat distribution.
Using natural lump charcoal in your Kamado grill can result in deliciously grilled foods with an authentic smoky flavor.
It burns hot and fast, allowing for searing and grilling at high temperatures, and it can also be used for low and slow cooking or smoking.
The minimal ash production means less cleanup and maintenance during and after grilling sessions.
In addition to its performance benefits, natural lump charcoal is also a more environmentally-friendly option compared to briquettes, as it is made from renewable hardwood without the use of additives or binders.
It is a natural and sustainable fuel source for grilling, making it a preferred choice for many Kamado grill enthusiasts.
When using natural lump charcoal in your Kamado grill, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for lighting and using charcoal to ensure safe and successful grilling sessions.
Experimenting with different brands and types of natural lump charcoal can help you find the best one that suits your grilling needs and preferences.
Consider a product like this Original Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal if you want the best flavor and excellent cooking performance.
Enjoy the authentic flavor and high heat performance that natural lump charcoal brings to your Kamado grill!