Weber surprised many home cooks when it introduced the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill four years ago. It was and still is one of the most expensive charcoal grills to ever hit the market.
It slots into the brand’s premium lineup, alongside some of the best gas grills that are available today.
For people familiar with the classic Weber Kettle or other charcoal grills, the Summit Charcoal Grill might appear expensive at its current price.
However, like many of Weber’s products, the price is justified when you start to dive into the details.
Let’s take a look at what is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and why it is so expensive.
Features of the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
Known officially as the Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, the Summit Charcoal Grill offers a few features that other models lack.
Weber calls it the evolution of the original Kettle, and design-wise this is quite obvious. The main cooking chamber is shaped just like a classic Kettle, although it’s much larger.
Unlike the traditional model, it’s all integrated into a sturdy steel cart with storage shelves and even a preparation surface.
The materials used are a combination of enameled steel and stainless steel. Some plastic components are used, but only for controls and elements of the durable wheels.
The cart is easy to move around a patio or back yard thanks to a combination of standard rolling wheels and industrial casters.
- This grill has a dual-walled insulated lid and firebox for grilling, smoking, and baking. The insulated design ensures that temperatures are kept consistent for low and slow cooking. This is great for standard grilling and having the versatility to bake is a huge win with this model.
- The porcelain enamel is specially formulated to help retain heat while resisting the elements. Rust won’t be a problem when this grill is properly cared for and stored or covered when not in use.
- Unlike most charcoal grills, the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center has a gas ignition system to make it easy to get the coals burning. There’s no need for a chimney starter or any complex lighting process.
- The porcelain enamel cooking grate is fully height adjustable for baking, smoking, or classic grilling and searing.
- The one-touch cleaning system efficiently captures grease and coal dust to make it easy and safe to finish up a cooking session.
Something unique about the Summit Charcoal Grill is that temperatures can get as high as Kamado grills, but it’s much easier to raise or lower them.
Kamado grills use thick and heavy walls to achieve high and consistent heat. This is ideal until you need to lower the temperature quickly.
Because the Summit Charcoal Grill is double insulated with an air gap, it effectively retains heat but also cools quickly when opening the lid or adjusting the vents.
Is the Summit Charcoal Grill Worth the Money?
The reason that the Summit Charcoal Grill is so expensive is that it is innovative in design and features. It performs like no other similar charcoal grill. Yes, it is pricey, but it’s not overpriced.
Deciding whether it’s the right grill for you will depend on how much you’re willing to spend.
Charcoal fueled cooking is one of the purest ways to cook outdoors.
There’s something extremely rewarding about this classic method. Flavors are impressive and the Summit Charcoal Grill is versatile thanks to its ability to bake or smoke over long (even all-day) sessions.
If you have the money to spend and want a charcoal grill that will last for years, then the Summit is worth considering. It’s a real showpiece that will start conversations when you’re entertaining guests.
The premium materials add durability, so the high price tag will start to make sense after using this grill for several years.
For charcoal grilling and smoking enthusiasts, the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is one of the most interesting and versatile cookers available.